About this group
Affectionate, cute, intelligent, and with a courageous streak that belies their tiny size, the appeal of both fluffy long haired Chihuahuas and short haired smooth coated Chihuahuas is easy to understand.
In spite of a few health issues with the breed (such as problems with jaws, knees and reverse sneezing), Chihuahuas typically require less vet treatment over their lifetimes than other dog breeds. They also live longer than most other breeds of dogs, with an average lifespan of 17 years!
Luckily for Chihuahuas, Bought By Many has come up with a few unique pet insurance policies that may be useful for their owners. There is no age limit to any of our pet insurance policies, meaning that even if your Chihuahua is a little older you can still get cover.
However, pet insurance can increase year on year, meaning your premium can be much more expensive when your Chihuahua is 15 compared to when you bought it.
To fix this, we created a Fixed For Life policy, the premium will never increase, even if you claim. Your dog has to be under two when you purchase this policy.
We also provide dental cover as standard on our Complete policy.
Older dogs can also be more susceptible to illnesses and most pet insurance policies won't cover any pre-existing conditions a dog may have had in the past.
However, Bought By Many has a Pre-Existing policy that can provide limited cover for pre-existing conditions. Ours is the only policy of its type to exist on the market.
To find out more about Bought By Many's policies, join the group and get a quote, or check out all of our policies below.
Bought By Many pet insurance policies
- Value Conditions are covered for up to £3,000 of vet fees or 12 months, whichever is reached sooner.
- Regular Up to £7,000 of vet fee cover and the option of no excess for pets under 9.
- Complete The most comprehensive pet insurance money can buy. Up to £15,000 of vet fee cover and dental cover is included as standard.
Bought By Many has also created three policies that are like nothing else on the market:
- Fixed For Life The price of your pet insurance will never increase, even if you make a claim. It will cover up to £20,000 of vet fees in your pet's lifetime, but you can only buy it before your pet is two.
- MoneyBack 20% of your premium will be paid back every year you don’t claim, with cover for up to £7,000 of vet fees each year.
- Pre-Existing Pet insurance that covers pre-existing medical conditions. You can switch insurers while still having some cover for illnesses or injuries your pet has suffered from. It does not cover conditions experienced in the three months before the start of the policy.
We’ve also created a cheap Liability Only policy that offers £3m of public liability insurance but no vet fees, so you’ll be covered for claims if your dog harms someone or damages their property, but not if they become ill.
Our policies will cover Chihuahuas over the age of four weeks, and most of our policies can cover dogs of any age.
Our innovative claims process
- Easy to submit No more claim forms - just give us a call to tell us the details. A simple online submission will be available soon.
- Transparent Our UK-based team will keep you up to date on how the claim is progressing.
- Quick We can get what we need from your vet directly, saving you time.
- Fair Our policy documents are designed to be clear and we review all claims fairly.
- Flexible We can pay you or the vet, whichever you prefer.
Find out more about insurance with our guide to the best pet insurance for dogs.
Top questions answered by us
What are the main chihuahua health risks?
The most common problems in Chihuahuas include overshot jaw, hydrocephalus (water on the brain which leads the head to swell), patella luxation (dislocation of the knee), entropion (curling eyelids), and retention of baby teeth and testicles in male chihuahuas. There's a very helpful article on Chihuahua health at the website of the Chihuahua breeders Valenchino Long Coat Chihuahuas which gives more information on these conditions.
Are you sure it's spelt "Chihuahua" and not "Chiwawa"?
Yes! The history: chihuahuas get their name from the state in Mexico where the breed originated.
I have a dog but it's not a chihuahua - how can I club together with other owners to buy insurance?
We'd love to hear from owners of other dog breeds who would like to start a similar group. Please get in touch and let us know about your dog and if there are particular things you are looking for from dog insurance.