What pet insurance does Saga offer?
Saga pet insurance is designed for pet owners aged 50 and over. It offers a range of cover levels that include:
- Cover for unexpected vet fees, up to £5,000 depending on the level of cover you choose.
- It has three levels of cover to choose from, starting with a time-limited £2,000 per condition policy.
- Third party liability up to £2m (for dogs only).
- Holiday cancellation expenses if you need to cancel your holiday due to your pet becoming ill.
- Advertising and reward costs if your pet becomes lost.
- Travel costs if your pet is referred to a specialist.
Saga insurance cover levels
Saga provides three levels of cover:
Provides up to £2,000 towards vet fees per condition for a maximum of 12 months. A range of additional benefits are included as standard, for example up to £2 million for third party liability.
Provides up to £1,000 towards vet fees each year, including cover for ongoing conditions at each renewal. A range of additional benefits are included as standard. For example, up to £2 million for third party liability.
This is Saga's highest level of protection, providing up to £5,000 towards vet fees per year. Including cover for ongoing conditions at each renewal. A range of additional benefits are included as standard. For example, up to £2 million for third party liability.
How much does Saga pet insurance cost?
For this review, we got example quotes from Saga for a 4 year old Border Terrier in Buckinghamshire in October 2018. The prices quoted were as follows:
- Saver Cover with £2,000 for vet fees: £10.93 per month
- Essential Cover with £1,000 for vets fees: £12.84 per month
- Super Cover with £5,000 for vets fees: £29.93 per month
The cost of your pet insurance will depend on many factors such as the breed and age of your pet and where you live.
Find out more about the average cost of dog insurance.
For Essential and Super Cover, the following applies:
When a pet is aged five years or over, policyholders will be asked to pay a mandatory contribution towards the cost of their claim after deduction of their excess. This amount will start at 10% increasing with age to a maximum of 25% and will be shown on their schedule. This will replace any voluntary contribution should they choose to select one.
What is not covered by Saga pet insurance (General exclusions applicable to all policies)
- Any pet less than eight weeks of age.
- Any pet aged eight years or over at the start date of an Essential or Super policy. Dogs aged nine years and over, or cats aged eleven years and over at the start of a saver policy.
- Any pre-existing condition/illness/injury or one shown on the Schedule as excluded.
- Any illness or condition arising prior to or occurring within 14 days of the policy start date.
- Any illness or condition arising prior to or within 14 days of the policy start date.
- Any illness or disease which your pet should have been vaccinated against unless the illness or disease is contracted as a result of vaccine failure.
- Losses directly or indirectly arising from or attributable to any condition pre-existing at the start date of the policy.
- Dental treatment, other than required as a result of injury.
- Any medication not prescribed by a vet, treatment not provided by a vet or complementary treatment not recommended by a vet and approved by Saga.
- Non-essential hospitalisation and /or house calls unless the vet declares that to move a pet would endanger its health.
What is not covered
Saver and Essential do not cover the following:
- Death due to illness or injury
- Loss by theft or straying
- Accidental damage your pet does to your property
- Complementary medicine
How do you make a claim?
Download a claim form by visiting Saga's website and fill it in.
Alternatively, call Saga on 0800 027 1334 from the UK.
Return your completed claim form to Saga by email or post it to Saga Pet Insurance claims, 5th floor, The Connect Centre, Kingston Crescent, North End, Portsmouth PO2 8DE.
Saga has a voluntary excess policy in place.
Policy holders can choose how much excess they would like to pay. The options are £50, £100, and £150.
Other insurance offered by Saga
Saga are a well-known insurance company catering for people over the age of 50. As well as pet insurance, Saga offers a wide range of insurance policies covering health, life, travel, home and car insurance.