Key policy features
- cycleGuard cycling insurance covers bikes up to £12,500 against theft and accidental damage
- Up to 90-day worldwide cover - great for those considering taking bikes abroad
- Good for all-rounders and commuters
- Includes cover for racing as well as commuting, mountain biking and other cycling activities
CycleGuard is a trading name of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. The cycling insurance company prides itself on insuring all types of bicycles, including road bikes, mountain bikes, vintage and custom-designed bikes.
This could make it a good all-round policy for many different types of cyclists, including triathletes and off-road cyclists, or those who use their bike to commute to work or for leisure.
cycleGuard was covered in our guide to the best cycling insurers.
Bought By Many is also working to make insurance fairer for consumers. Using the combined buying power of our members we've negotiated a 10% discount on a quality cycling insurance policy. Join our group to access the exclusive deal.
Overview of cover provided by cycleGuard
The main benefits of cycling cover from cycleGuard are:
- Covers bikes up to £12,500 for theft and accidental damage
- Choice of whether to insure bikes in the UK only, the EU for 90 days or worldwide for 90 days
- Bicycle hire when bikes are out of action due to theft or damage, until the bike is repaired or replaced
- New-for-old replacement for bicycles that are up to 3 years old (after that the value deprecates for wear and tear)
- Agreed value cover for modified bikes
- Optional public liability and personal accident cover
- Optional cycleguard Rescue - roadside recovery if you have an accident
- Optional cover for racing and competitions
- Optional accessories cover
As we say in our guide to the best cycling insurers, cycleGuard could be useful for all-round cyclists and those who take their bike abroad. Our guide also includes links to reviews of other cycle insurers, so you can compare policies.
Find out how cycling insurance would have helped Bought By Many's David Woodfield, who crashed during a race.
How much does insurance cover from cycleGuard cost?
The cost of cycleGuard premiums depends on the value of the bicycle/s insured, your postcode and whether you want any additional cover features, such as international travel or racing.
For example, to insure a road bike worth £1,500 at a Milton Keynes postcode, with no optional extras, it would cost £9.80 a month or £104 a year.
When optional worldwide cover, £250 accessories cover and roadside assistance cover is added, the premium increases to £13.38 a month or £142 a year.
cycleguard Rescue roadside assistance cover on its own costs £18 per bicycle for 12 months, or £13 if you want to add it to a cycleGuard policy.
What do customer reviews say?
cycleGuard is a relatively new company so it doesn't have a great deal of customer reviews. However, it has a score of 3.5/10 from 7 reviews on TrustPilot and is rated 1.8/5 from 10 reviews on Reviewcentre.com.