The Post Office hardly needs an introduction – it is the UK’s largest retail network and largest financial services chain and has been serving Britons for over 370 years.
However, while everyone is aware of the postal services provided, as well as Travel Money and help with various government procedures, not many people know the Post Office actually offers over 170 products and services. Included in these is insurance – with a variety of categories available, such as travel, pet and home.
The Post Office Travel Insurance cover was voted the ‘Best Travel Insurance Provider’ by the British Travel Awards every year from 2006 to 2014. It is underwritten by Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) PLC and Europäische Reiseversicherung A.G. (ERV), and administered by Collinson Insurance Services Limited.
Get a Post Office travel insurance quote here
Overview of Post Office insurance travel cover
The Post Office Travel Insurance offers three types of travel insurance cover - single trip, multi-trip and backpackers
Single Trip Cover
Single Trip Cover is suitable cover for you if you're only going away once in the near future. It will cover you for anything from a short UK break to a year of travelling around the world. See what Post Office Single Trip Travel Insurance covers include the below:
- Covid-19 cover
- Cancellation and curtailments
- Emergency medical expense
- Missed departure
Get a quote or read more about Single Trip Cover here
Annual Multi-Trip Cover
Annual Multi-Trip Cover is suitable if you plan to travel more than once a year - an Annual Multi-Trip policy could save you time and money. Whether you're popping abroad to watch the football, fancy a weekend shopping trip to Paris, or are taking a two-week family holiday, if you're going away more than once in a year it's worth considering Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance. Taking out this cover means you can travel without the worry, or the hassle, of getting cover every time you go. See what Post Office Annual Multi-Trip insurance covers include the below:
- Covid-19 cover
- Emergency medial expenses
- Delayed departure
- End supplier failure
Get a quote or read more about Annual Multi-Trip Cover here
Aged 18 to 60 and looking for a gap year, career break or to travel the world? Then you may want to consider Backpackers Travel Cover. Post Office Backpacker insurance is open to anybody between the ages of 18-60 and cover includes:
- Cover on one trip of up to 18 months (can return home for up to 7 days on 3 occasions)
- Trip cancellation and curtailment cover
- Lost valaubles
- Sporting activities
- Emergency medical expenses
Get a quote or read more about Backpacker Cover here
What is Covid-19 Cover
Post Office Travel latest policies offer extra protection and reassurance in light of the Covid-19 outbreak - they’ll give you all this Covid-19 cover:
Before you go:
- Cancellation within 14 days of your trip should you test positive
- Cancellation if a close relative passes away after testing positive for Covid-19
- Curtailment if you test positive for Covid-19 at your outward departure point and are not allowed to go on your trip
- Missed departure while waiting for test results (negative result included, you must arrive at your departure point within the time stated, and the testing is to take place at your departure point)
While you’re travelling:
- Curtailment if you test positive upon arrival at your destination**
- Curtailment if you test positive for the virus or are medically quarantined for 24+ hours whilst in destination**
- Curtailment if a close relative passes away from Covid-19 back at home
- Emergency medical and additional expenses, including getting you home
There’s NO cover for:
- Travelling against Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advice or any Government restrictions (including UK lockdowns or travel bans)
- Changes to FCDO or local Government travel advice while you’re away
- Not wanting to travel for fear of catching Covid-19
- Unlimited costs (each level of cover has a maximum benefit)
- Buying a policy after receiving a positive Covid-19 test result or waiting for a result when your trip starts within 14 days
- Following general advice from a government to self-isolate, including any quarantine requirements upon re-entering the UK
- The cost of any medical tests or results
- Your GP or medical practitioner advises not to travel due to existing health conditions.
Review full Covid-19 policy information on the Post Office Travel Website
Does the Post Office provide travel insurance for people over 65?
Yes, travel insurance cover can be purchased from the Post Office up to the age of 85. However, those over 70 will only be covered for 90 days of the year, while those over 76 will only be covered for 31 days.
Additionally, not all medical conditions are covered. Customers are asked to fill out a questionnaire during the quote process and, depending on the results, are either asked to contact the Post Office by phone, or, in some cases, refused cover altogether.
How much does travel insurance from the Post Office cost?
The cost of travel insurance varies according to the length of the trip, age and medical conditions of the people travelling and the destination.
However, with such a wide variety of cover options to choose from, the Post Office is committed to offering policies to suit every budget. Kids under 18 travel for free when under a family policy.