In recent articles and blogs (see a list at the end of Getting travel insurance for the over 70s, 80s and 90s) we have looked at the difficulties in getting travel insurance for older travellers - a significant part of that difficulty is due to some insurers refusing to cover people over a certain age. This can be frustrating when you think you've found the policy for you, only to discover that you're above their maximum age limit.
That age limit can sometimes be as low as 65 (or even lower on special policies such as Backpackers insurance), but the good news is that some insurers are relaxing their attitude toward older travellers - either through an increased understanding of this market or perhaps due to the improving health of the elderly. Accordingly, some have raised their maximum ages to 70, 75, 80 or more.
What affects the maximum age for travel insurance?
Each insurer makes its own decisions about the maximum ages it will insure however the factors that can affect whether you will get cover are:
- The type of insurer you are dealing with - mainstream insurers can often have lower limits and so can insurers who focus on a younger traveller (for example Go Travel Insurance have maximum ages of 65), whereas a specialist insurer such as Ok To Travel or Free Spirit will have higher limits by design.
- Whether the policy is an annual trip or single trip (usually maximum ages are higher for single trips)
- Where you are travelling - some insurers such as American Express - will vary their upper age limit depending on where you go - for example it is lower for the USA.
- How long your trip(s) are - John Lewis for example will put a lower maximum trip duration on older customers than on younger customers, meaning you might not be able to use them if you're planning a longer trip.
How old will my insurer go?
To save you a little time, we've collected the maximum ages from various insurers and put them together into a table. All information was based on travel to Europe (unless otherwise stated) and should help you navigate to an insurer that can help, no matter what your age!
|Ok To Travel|
|Explorer Travel Insurance|
Bought by Many groups together individuals with similar insurance needs - perhaps due to a passion or interest, a profession or a location. We then use the collective buying power of these groups to negotiate a better offer from insurers, exclusively for group members - better can mean cheaper, it can mean improved policy terms or it can even mean a policy especially tailored for the needs of the group.
Join a group today!
We have several travel insurance groups that were created to help older travellers get access to the insurance they need at good prices. See below for one that is relevant to you - each includes the option to join the group and gain access to our special members-only offer, as well as best buy tables that compare prices across some popular providers.
- Travel Insurance for Over 65s
- Travel Insurance for Over 70s
- Travel Insurance for Over 75s
- Travel Insurance for Over 80s
- Travel Insurance for Over 85s
- Or we have a wide range of travel insurance groups including some for those with medical conditions. You can browse them here.
Good luck and safe travels!