Key Policy Features
- Insurance Republic offers up to £20m medical cover
- Option to add up to five gadgets to a policy
- 24/7 Emergency Medical Service Centre
Insurance Republic specialises in travel insurance, although it says it also covers gadgets and holiday homes. Its travel policies are underwritten by HCC International Insurance.
At the time of writing it was offering discounts to people buying online. You can find out more and get a quote from Insurance Republic's website.
Check out our guide to the best travel insurance companies to see if Insurance Republic made the list.
Overview of Insurance Republic
Insurance Republic offers single and multi-trip policies and there are three levels of cover for each: Essentials, Gold and Platinum.
It also allows you to add extras such as golf, pet and winter sports cover. There is a separate selection for 'Special Sports & Hazardous Activities', which gives you four 'Tables' of activities to choose from.
These extras do allow you to customise your cover, however, some of the extras may be included by other providers as standard. For example, to include football or go-karting you'd have to select a special sports table that would increase the cost of your cover. Both of those activities are included as standard by many of the providers in our list of the top 10 travel insurers.
To be covered for off-piste skiing or snowboarding on an Insurance Republic policy you'd have to add winter sports and the highest table of Special Sports & Hazardous Activities.
Insurance Republic does not cover pre-existing medical conditions but it links through to a company called Good-to-Go, which it says can cover medical conditions.
Find out more about getting travel insurance if you have medical conditions here.
It seems like you can only see Insurance Republic's policy documents once you have a quote. Its documents say its maximum age limit is 66 years old.
Once you have selected a policy you have the option to add £1,000 of cover for up to three gadgets or £2,000 of cover for up to five gadgets.
Insurance Republic offers up to £20m of medical expenses under its Platinum policy. This is a high cover limit compared to some rivals, but it is unlikely that many people will need that level of cover.
How much does Insurance Republic travel insurance cost?
Travel insurance premiums vary depending on your personal circumstances including age, health and your destination. As a guideline we got the following quotes from the Insurance Republic website in February 2017.
Annual Multi-trip travel insurance, worldwide - a couple in their 50s
- Essentials - £68.26 a year for up to £12m of medical cover, baggage up to £1,000, up to £1,250 cancellation and a £149 excess.
- Gold - £95.98 a year for up to £16m of medical cover, baggage up to £1,500, up to £1,750 cancellation and a £125 excess.
- Platinum - £127.97 a year for up to £20m of medical cover, baggage up to £1,500, up to £2,000 cancellation and a £89 excess.
Single-trip travel insurance, Spain, 2 weeks - one 34-year-old woman travelling solo
- Essentials - £6.41 for up to £12m of medical cover, baggage up to £1,000, up to £1,250 cancellation and a £149 excess.
- Gold - £7.89 for up to £16m of medical cover, baggage up to £1,500, up to £1,750 cancellation and a £125 excess.
- Platinum - £10.50 for up to £20m of medical cover, baggage up to £1,500, up to £2,000 cancellation and a £99 excess.
You can get a quote on Insurance Republic's website.
Both the Multi-trip and Single-trip policies have optional extras including winter sports, legal cover, business cover, catastrophe cover and iPhone, tablets and gadgets cover.
Insurance Republic allows you to double your excess or set no excess, the former will lower your premium and the latter will increase it.
What do expert reviews say about Insurance Republic travel insurance?
Independent financial researcher Defaqto has awarded Insurance Republic's Platinum policy 4 Stars and its Gold and Essentials policies 3 Stars.
A Star Rating indicates where a product or proposition sits in the market based on the quality and comprehensiveness of the features it offers.
A 5 Star policy is "an excellent product with a comprehensive range of features and benefits".