See the companies we've rated the best pet insurers for dogs.
What does Everypaw pet insurance cover?
Each policy includes:
- Cover for vet bills for illness or injury
- Third party liability for dogs and legal costs
- Boarding fees for your cat and dog if you are hospitalised for more than 48 hours
- Holiday cancellation costs should policyholders be forced to cancel a holiday due to any life-threatening illness experienced by their cat or dog
- Advertising and reward costs for missing cats and dogs
According to their website, up to 97% of policyholders can expect payment within 5 working days of making a claim.
For every policy sold, Everypaw donates £2 to the RSPCA.
A free Activity Tracker with every dog insurance policy.
Everypaw has teamed up with PitPat to offer new customers a free PitPat 2 Dog Activity Tracker worth £39 when taking out a dog insurance policy.
1. Lifetime Policy
Lifetime (or ‘yearly limit’) insurance covers vet fees up to the policy's limit every year. So long as you renew a lifetime policy each year, the level of vet fees will reset to the full limits you started with. It is important to note that your premiums are likely to increase each year at renewal.
Three of Everypaw's lifetime policies work slightly differently from other companies. Although they have a total limit that will reset each year, they also have a per-condition limit that is smaller than the total.
For example, if you chose Everypaw's £4,000 lifetime policy you could claim that amount in total each year but you would only be able to claim up to £1,000 for individual conditions each year. Both limits reset when you renew.
The three policies have limits of £2,000 (£500 per condition), £4,000 (£1,000 per condition) and £10,000 (£2,000 per condition).
2. Maximum Benefit
Policyholders can claim up to £1,000, £3,000 or £5,000 each year for a single condition, depending on the cover level they select. If a policyholder has spent £300 on vets’ bills and further treatment is needed. There is no time limit on when you can make claims for a condition although you will not be able to make any more claims once you have reached the limit for that condition in a year.
3. Lifetime Premium
Provides policyholders with the comprehensive level of cover. They can claim up to £6,000 a year in total, which is reset each year. The total limit is also the limit on how much can be claimed per condition.
How much does Everypaw pet insurance cost?
Everypaw provided the following figures in September 2018 as a price guide for its Maximum Benefit offerings.
- Cover from £6.17 a month (£1.42 a week) - **Based on Maximum Benefit £1K product for a male Jack Russell, age 2 living in DG postal area
- Cover from £5.27 a month (£1.22 a week) - **Based on Maximum Benefit £1K product for a male Moggie, age 2 living in DG postal area
You can find out how much your policy will cost by getting a quote from Everypaw.
Everypaw excess fees
Excess is applicable to all claims. For Everypaw’s Lifetime policies, the excess is applied per condition per policy year.
When we got a quote in September 2018 the excess was listed as £90.
For third party liability claims, policyholders are responsible for paying the first £250 of any costs or compensation awarded.
Vet fee excess can change if the circumstances and personal details of policyholders change. Everypaw will let policyholders know what this change will be before it is applied. Everypaw also advise that when pets reach a certain age, this will change the excess from a defined amount to a sum that will be the greater of the defined amount or a percentage contribution.
For dog policyholders, the excess will change at the renewal following a dog’s 8th birthday (5th birthday for certain breeds). The current “over age” excess will be 25% of the claim value subject to the minimum of your excess amount.
For cat policyholders, the excess will change at the renewal following a cat’s 10th birthday. The current “over age” excess is 25% of the claim value subject to the minimum of the excess amount.
Everypaw offer a multiple pet bonus discount to insure two or more pets. Policyholders will receive a discount equal to one month free for each policy held.
Everypaw provides limited information on its pre-conditions policies, however as one would expect across the pet insurance industry. Everypaw request information on any previous illness, injury and pre-existing health conditions for those pets being insured. All of this information will naturally affect policy coverage and future claims.
When does cover start?
Policyholders will be covered for accidental injury and poisoning after three days from the policy start date. They can claim vet fees for illnesses that first come to light after 14 days from the start date. They can also claim for the cost of advertising and searching for your lost dog for instances occurring from 14 days after the start date.
How do you make a claim?
Policyholders can download a Vet Fees claim form. This can be completed by their vet and returned to Everypaw by email or post.
What is excluded from cover?
- Routine, preventative, elective and cosmetic treatment. This exclusion also applies to neutering for contraceptive purpose (as opposed to medical reasons)
- Treatment for vaccine-preventable conditions where policyholders have failed to vaccinate their pets
- Routine dental treatment is excluded but Everypaw will pay for dentistry treatment where the need for treatment is down to accidental injury
- The cost of transplant, prosthetic limbs and associated treatment
- Third party coverage: Cover does not include third party liability outside of the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the first £250 of any claim. Cover does not apply where the claim arises as a result of a policyholder's profession, occupation or business; and additionally, if the dog is kept on premises licensed for the sale of alcohol
- Claims made for searching and finding a pet and for the loss or theft of a pet are excluded, if they are not microchipped in accordance with the applicable microchipping legal requirements in force at the time of any claim
- Policyholder's hospitalisation: Claims for boarding fees in the event of policyholders' hospitalisation do not apply where the said hospitalisation is as a result of alcoholism, drug abuse or self-inflicted injury or where the policyholder's illness or accident occurred before the policy start date. Claims are also excluded where the policyholder's illness first occurs or shows symptoms within 14 days of the policy start date
For a full list of exclusions, read Everypaw's full policy details
When does cover start?
Policyholders are covered for accidental injury and poisoning after three days from the policy start date. They can claim vet fees for illness that first come to light after 14 days from the start date. Likewise, policyholders can claim for the cost of advertising and searching for lost cats and dogs for instances occurring from 14 days after the start date.
Policyholders can claim for medical conditions that first arise after 14 days from the policy start date. Cover for loss of a cat also begins after 14 days from the policy start date, and accidents are covered after 3 days from the policy start date.
Eligibility for cover
New insurance cover for most dogs can be started from the age of 8 weeks up to their 8th Birthday. However, for certain breeds (listed below) insurance can start from 8 weeks up to their 5th Birthday. For cats, cover also starts from 8 weeks, right up to their 10th Birthday. Once already insured, cover can continue beyond these ages, subject to the policy T&C’s.
Expert reviews of Everypaw pet insurance
Independent financial researcher Defaqto has rated Everypaw’s Lifetime Premium Dog coverage 5 stars for its £10K policies.
A Star Rating indicates where a product or proposition sits in the market based on the quality and comprehensiveness of the features it offers.
A 5 Star rated policy “has a comprehensive range of features and benefits”, a 4 Star rated policy “has a good level of features and benefits”, a 3 Star rated policy “has an average level of features and benefits” while a 1 Star rated product has “a low level of features and benefits”.
What do Everypaw customers say?
On Feefo, Everypaw has received a customer experience rating of 4.9 out of 5. Feefo provide customer reviews and feedback for businesses and consumers.