- We offer unique lifetime insurance policies, including cover for pre-existing conditions
- We use plain English and have simple procedures, such as no claims forms
What is Bought By Many?
Bought By Many is a cat and dog insurance provider.
Our pet insurance is backed by underwriter Great Lakes, which is a subsidiary of Munich Re, and we focus on innovating the insurance industry.
After we launched in 2012 we started to negotiate discounts and offers with other pet insurers but our customers continually flagged frustrations with the cover and service they offered.
So, we decided to create our own products from scratch.
We designed seven pet insurance policies, three with unique features, and built an easy-to-use quote process.
Customers often told us they could not understand jargon in pet insurers’ policy documents so we made ours short and simple. Our policy documents were the first to be awarded Fairer Finance’s Clear and Simple Mark for the clarity of our design and wording.
After incorporating feedback from over 40,000 pet owners we launched our pet insurance in February 2017. Since then we’ve sold thousands of policies and received hundreds of positive reviews on Feefo. You see customer testimonials and Feefo reviews here.
Over the years we've won many awards including 2018 and 2019's Feefo Gold Customer Service award and the Moneywise 'Most Trusted Pet Insurance Provider 2019' award.
Other awards have included two Financial Innovation Awards, the silver prize for best new product or innovation at the 2017 UK Financial Services Experience Awards and we were named the 2015 start-up for the year at the British Insurance Awards.
Bought By Many’s unique policies
We’ve designed policies that meet the needs of pets and their owners.
Check out our policy summary or read on to learn more about some of our unique policies. Customers can choose between these policies, we don’t offer all unique features under one policy.
- Pre-Existing Conditions – We are the only pet insurer that insures pets with recent pre-existing conditions. We cover any condition as long as the pet has not received treatment and/or medication in the three months before the policy starts. All our policies are lifetime.
We offer £500 of vet fees cover for all pre-existing conditions in the first year of the policy and £1,000 of cover in the second year, provided no claims were made in the first year.
If the customer hasn’t claimed by the end of the second year, the condition will be treated as a new condition. You'll then be covered for £7,000 of vet fees every year, as part of your lifetime policy.
- Fixed for Life – We are the only pet insurer that offers a policy where the premium never increases, even if the owner claims.
It's available for dogs and cats under the age of 2 and once the owner has the policy the price will not increase over the pet's life, as long as they renew each year.
The lifetime vet fees limit is £7,000 a year, with up to £20,000 available over the course of your pets life.
- MoneyBack – We know that pet insurance can be costly and that sometimes policyholders end up never having to claim.
Pet owners told us this left them feeling that pet insurance is a waste of money. To cater to such customers, we created the MoneyBack policy. If no claims are made in a policy year, we will give 20% of the premium back. The vet fee limit is £7,000 a year.
Our more standard pet insurance policies:
- Complete – this is the most comprehensive pet insurance on the market. It includes: a vet fee limit of £15,000, dental cover as standard, £6,000 limit if the pet is ever lost or stolen, £6,000 limit for the pet passing away, £2,000 limit for emergency minding, £150 limit for euthanasia and £3m for third-party liability.
Lifetime (or ‘yearly limit’ as we prefer to call it) insurance covers vet fees up to the stated limit every year. This can be a good option if owners worry about their pet developing a long-term or recurring illness. So long as the policy is renewed each year, the level of vet fees will reset to the full stated limits that the policy started with.
With a lifetime product, it is important to note that premiums will increase each year at renewal. This is different to a “Per Condition” policy, which is offered by some insurers, where a particular condition can become excluded once the condition limit is reached
- Regular – Our Regular policy offers the choice of a £0 excess. It has a yearly limit of £7,000 for vet fees (many pet insurers like to call this a lifetime limit or a lifetime policy, however, we prefer the term ‘yearly limit’ as it gives our customers a better idea of what the policy offers).
Please note that when pets turn 9, a fixed excess of £99, paid once a year if you claim, plus 20% of each claim will apply on all our vet cover policies.
- Value - This is our most affordable pet insurance. It offers £3,000 of lifetime vet fee cover a year.
We also have a Liability Only policy – it covers our customers if their dog harms somebody or damages their property. It covers public liability claims up to £3m. Annual premiums are around £10, £14 or £20, depending on the size of the dog.
What our innovative claims procedure means for vets
We are the first pet insurer to offer online claims submission with no forms.
Snap Claims asks a handful of questions, including vet contact details. Once we have that information we can get in touch with the vet to find out about the treatment and costs and quickly arrange a payout if the claim is successful. We can pay vets directly.
Customers can access Snap Claim by logging into My Account.
During the claim, they are invited to submit a photo of the vet receipt to speed up the process but if they don’t have any documents it’s not a problem. We do not require vets to fill out a claims form. We’re aware that delays in claims procedures can often cause cashflow problems for vets, which is why we’ve optimised our claims procedure to reduce waiting times.
Vet claims pre-authorisation
Currently we don't offer pre-authorisation on vet fee claims. Although we are aware that it's something vets are asking for.
Customer reviews and press coverage
At the time of writing we had a rating of 4.8 out of 5 from hundreds of customer reviews on Feefo. Check out customer testimonials here.
We've been featured in many more media outlets, including Wired, the BBC and the Telegraph.
We’d love to hear your thoughts
We are continually trying to improve our services, so if you have any suggestions, advice or questions we’d be grateful to hear them! You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to know:
- Do you recommend insurers to your customers?
- What would it take for you to recommend an insurer?
- What is it that you look for in an insurer?
- Are there any reasons you wouldn’t recommend an insurer?
- We look forward to hearing from you.