Key policy benefits:
- Up to £10m medical emergency cover
- Kids go free with any parent or guardian policy
- Three cover levels to choose from
- Access to 24/7 emergency assistance
Big Blue Cover Insurance is part of the ROCK Insurance Group, which has been providing customers with travel insurance for over 15 years.
Based in the South East of England, ROCK Insurance Groups has insured more than 1 million customers since its launch.
Click the link to see if Big Blue Cover made it onto our list of the Top 10 travel insurance providers.
An overview of the cover provided by Big Blue Cover Insurance
Big Blue Cover has three levels of insurance to choose from – Economy, Standard and Premier.
Economy cover includes:
- £1,000 cancellation or curtailment cover
- £1,000 for personal effects and baggage (£200 single item and valuables limit)
- £200 money and cash cover (£200 cash limit)
- £500 for missed departure
- A £175 excess applies to some claims
Standard cover includes:
- £3,000 cancellation or curtailment cover
- £1,500 for personal effects and baggage (£300 single item and valuables limit)
- £300 money and cash cover (£250 cash limit)
- £750 for missed departure
- A £50 excess applies to some claims
Premier cover includes:
- £5,000 cancellation or curtailment cover
- £2,500 for personal effects and baggage (£500 single item and valuables limit)
- £500 money and cash cover (£300 cash limit)
- £1,500 for missed departure
- No excess for most claims
All policies include up to £10,000,000 cover for medical expenses and emergency repatriation and £2,000,000 of personal liability cover.
It's worth noting that the £200 limits and £175 excess on its Economy policy will make some claims almost pointless. For example, if you had £200 worth of cash stolen on holiday, you would get just £25 back from Big Blue. There is no excess for cash or baggage on its Premier policy, which features on our list of insurers with high single item limits.
Golf, business, gadget, winter sports, special sports and activities, wedding and cruise cover are all available for an additional premium. Winter sports includes a range of activities but off-piste skiing and snowboarding must be with a guide.
Big Blue has an age limit of 65 for winter sports policies, 75 for annual multi-trip cover and 85 for single trips.
Customers have access to a 24-hour helpline.
Check out our guide to the best travel insurance companies to see how Big Blue Cover compares to other companies.
Do Big Blue Cover’s insurance policies cover pre-existing medical conditions?
No. Big Blue Cover do not offer travel insurance for any medical conditions.
We've written a guide to getting travel cover if you have medical issues.
How much does travel insurance from Big Blue Cover cost?
The cost of travel insurance is affected by many factors, such as your age, the length of the trip, the destination and activities planned.
However, to give you an indication of cost, we have obtained the following sample quotes from Big Blue in February 2017:
- Single trip, a woman in her 30s, travelling within Europe for a week: Economy - £8.90, Standard - £11.88, Premier - £14.27.
- Annual policy, couple in their 50s, worldwide (excluding the USA, Canada and the Caribbean): Economy - £88.21, Standard - £117.60, Premier - £141.13.
Up to four children are covered for free when travelling with a parent or guardian.
What do Big Blue Cover Insurance reviews from the experts say?
Independent financial researcher Defaqto has rated Big Blue Cover’s Premier travel insurance policy as 5 Star, the company’s Standard policy as 4 Star and its Economy policy as 3 Star.
A Star Rating indicates where a product or proposition sits in the market based on the quality and comprehensiveness of the features it offers.
A 5 Star rated policy has “a comprehensive range of features and benefits”, a 4 Star rated policy has “a good level of features and benefits” and a 3 Star rated policy has “an average level of features and benefits”.”
This article was independently written by Bought By Many. We were not paid to write it, but we may receive commission for sales that result from you clicking on a link to one of our partners.