Aviva prides itself on not being on any price comparison websites and claims that you can only get the best deals directly from its website
Aviva home insurance
Having home insurance means that if an accident or damages were to happen to your home, you wouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for the repairs or to replace belongings. Aviva offers a range of home insurance options to ensure that you’re protected.
Aviva divides its home insurance into two groups:
- Aviva Home Insurance — Traditional home insurance that covers damage to your property or possessions with buildings and contents insurance. You can tailor this policy with optional extras like bicycle cover and accidental damage.
- AvivaPlus Home Insurance — Offers simple and flexible home insurance with a guaranteed renewal price and pay-monthly option as standard. This is trickier to find on the Aviva website, but is still a policy they offer.
Overview of Aviva Home Insurance
Aviva home insurance offers cover for your property, possessions and more. In addition to their standard cover, Aviva also offers optional features which you can add to your policy for an additional cost. This then allows you to tailor the cover to suit your needs and budget.
Aviva’s standard home insurance policy is divided into buildings cover and contents cover.
Aviva’s standard Buildings cover will protect you for the loss of or damage to the building caused by:
- Fire — Including smoke damage resulting from fire, explosions, or damage caused by lightning or an earthquake.
- Storm or flood — The overflow of external water sources such as rivers, lakes or the sea.
- Malicious intent — Damage to the property caused by vandalism, riots or strikes.
- Escaping water — Water that leaks from or freezes in tanks, pipes or washing machines and dishwashers.
- Theft — Theft or attempted theft of anything on the property. This includes gardens and sheds.
- Public liability — Up to £5,000,000 cover in the event of someone being injured or their belongings being damaged whilst inside your house.
Aviva’s standard home insurance policy will cover you for:
- Loss or damage — Caused by events such as fire, theft and flooding. You’re covered for up to £2,500 of items stolen from your garage or outbuildings.
- Valuables — Up to £10,000 cover for valuables including jewellery, watches, works of art, gold, silver or other precious metals.
- Personal money — Cover up to £750 of cash in your home including travel tickets, concert tickets, gift vouchers and phone cards.
- New for old replacements — Replace damaged or destroyed belongings with new items or aid in the restoration, repair or payment to choose your own replacements (this excludes any damage due to wear and tear or breakdown).
- Food in freezer — Aviva will replace spoiled food if your freezer breaks down or the electricity is switched off accidentally of up to £1,000.
- Home office — Cover for office furniture, printers, computers and other equipment used for work up to £5,000.
The positive news is that there are no major exclusions in both Aviva's building and contents insurance.
Aviva Home Insurance customers also receive:
- Alternative accommodation if your home can’t be lived in due to damage.
- Up to £1,000 for lock replacement or repair of lock mechanisms if your keys are accidentally lost or stolen (for external doors, alarms and safes).
- Pay for damage caused to your building or garden caused by someone accessing your home in the event of a medical emergency or to prevent damage to the home.
What’s not covered:
- Wet rot, dry rot or frost damage
- Claims for poor workmanship or faulty design
- Gates, hedges or fences damaged in a storm
- Damage that’s been caused to the property over time
How much does Aviva home insurance cost?
As with many home insurance providers, it’s hard to generalise policy costs. Aviva states that the price you pay depends on individual circumstances and the level of chosen cover.
Aviva’s standard home insurance policies start from £123. The market average cost of a combined home insurance policy of building and contents insurance was on average £141 in 2021. 10% of Aviva customers buying home, building and contents insurance from 1st November 2020 to January 31st 2021 paid this price or less (excluding optional add-ons)
What do Aviva’s customers say?
On Aviva’s customer review page, the Aviva home insurance has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. These reviews have been provided by customers who have made a claim or bought the AvivaPlus home insurance policy. Customers comment on the ease of features on the website, the quick process when purchasing insurance and would recommend Aviva to a friend. Aviva responds quickly to negative feedback that is left on their review page.
In May 2021, Aviva was rated 4.6 stars out of 5 on the reviewer website Trustpilot. 68% of the 8,900 reviews have rated the service as ‘Excellent’ with 20% rating Aviva as ‘Bad’. Reviewers state that setting up the insurance is extremely easy and fast, the website is simple to navigate and hassle-free. However, this is reviewing Aviva as a whole for all those insurance options, not exclusively for their home insurance policy.
What do expert reviews say about Aviva?
To help you make the right decision, we compiled a list of the best UK home insurance companies for 2021, in which Aviva appeared.
Fairerfinace.com ranked Aviva home insurance 4 out of 5 stars. Following a recent survey, Finder.com stated that 78% of Aviva’s home insurance customers in their 2020 satisfaction survey would recommend the company to a friend.