Aviva divides its car insurance into two groups:
- Aviva Car Insurance — Traditional car insurance that covers you against the cost of accidents and damages through their comprehensive and third party, fire and theft policies.
- AvivaPlus — The AvivaPlus also offers accident, third part, fire and theft, and comprehensive cover options but runs as a flexible subscription service. You can pay monthly interest free, cancel at any time and add and remove cover options at any time at no extra cost. However, this cover was tricky to find on the Aviva website.
Overview of Aviva standard car insurance
While it does offer a range of insurance policies, Aviva's main focus is car insurance. Whether you’re a learner driver or you’ve been driving for years, Aviva offers deals across all of their car insurance policies.
Aviva offers two types of car insurance policies:
- Comprehensive — Comprehensive cover protects you if your car is lost, damaged or stolen. It also covers you if you injure someone or damage their property or vehicle in the event of an accident. You’ll have uninsured driver cover as well as cover for legal costs if you’re involved in an accident. It also includes vehicle recovery (if your car is deemed not roadworthy), provides cover for driving someone else’s car, and issues motor injury protection payout should you die or become seriously injured after an accident.
- Third party, Fire & Theft — Provides cover against loss or damage to your car due to theft, attempted theft or fire. It also offers vehicle recovery, protection, and removal of your vehicle should it be damaged due to fire, theft or attempted theft, and also covers legal costs if you’re involved in an accident.
Aviva also offers different types of motor insurance to ensure that you’re covered, no matter what the situation. These include:
- MultiCar Insurance — allows you to insure all your vehicles — cars and vans — under one single policy. Add up to five cars and receive 10% off for every additional vehicle that is added and registered to the same address. You get flexible cover, each vehicle's no claims discount is kept separate and you have uninsured driver cover.
- Van Insurance — Insuring you against the cost of accidents and damages, Aviva Van Insurance starts from just £230. It comes with a repair guarantee, up to £500 comprehensive tool cover and glass replacement for your windows, sunroof or windscreen.
- Breakdown Cover — Aviva is partnered with RAC to provide Breakdown Cover for its customers. Depending on which cover you choose, you can get roadside assistance, transport to your destination for up to seven people, and get a replacement car whilst yours is being repaired, or overnight accommodation or onwards travel to your destination.
How much does Aviva car insurance cost?
Covering you against the cost of accidents and damages, Aviva car insurance prices start from just £193. Prices depend on the driver’s age, the area you live in, your accident history and more. The minimum type of car insurance you need in the UK is third party.
What do Aviva’s customers say?
In May 2021, Aviva was rated 4.4 out of 5 stars on the reviewer website Trustpilot, with 59% of the 5,683 reviews rating the service as ‘Excellent’. A large majority of people commend how quick and easy the procedure is online, with no need for unnecessary paperwork and great value for money. These reviews have been provided for all of Aviva’s insurance options, not just for their car insurance.
On Aviva’s website, they state that in 2019 they settled 99.4% of all motor insurance claims and are rated 4.6 out of 5 stars for their car insurance policy. The reviews have been provided by customers who have either bought motor insurance from the company or who have made a claim. These exclude customers who have Aviva Online and Aviva Premium Car Insurance policies. Customers comment on the quick response time, various offers and would recommend Aviva to a friend.
What do expert reviews say about Aviva?
To help buyers, we provided a list of the best UK car insurance companies for 2021. Aviva was ranked in third place for its MultiCar insurance policies and for its passenger cover for colleagues on business car insurance, which not all commercial vehicle policies include.
Aviva car insurance was ranked 24th out of 25 insurers on Autoexpress.co.uk in 2020 with an overall rating of 85.24%, while it’s ranked 11th for overall friendliness during the claims process. Finder.com has a rating of 4 out of 5 stars for the Aviva car insurance product and an overall rating of ‘Good’.
Fairerfinance.com ranked Aviva Motor Insurance 5 out of 5 stars.