Key policy features
- Alan Boswell includes malicious damage cover as standard
- Five-star rated insurance policies
- Up to £5,000,000 owner’s liability cover
Alan Boswell Insurance launched 30 years ago. It is based in Norwich but has several offices around the country and over 230 staff.
Officially it is a broker but it has teamed up with other companies to offer specific products, so it's possible to us its online form to get a quote and buy a landlord policy. You may need to call its customer services team for specialist products.
It offers a high level of cover and has one of the most comprehensive policies on the market. The company won Insurance Time’s Independent Broker of the Year in 2015 and was named best landlord insurer at the 2014/15 Landlord & Lettings Awards.
Find out more and get a personalised quote for Alan Boswell Landlord Insurance on its website.
Alan Boswell is one of the highest ranked providers in our list of the 12 best landlord insurers.
An overview of the cover provided by Alan Boswell Landlord Insurance
Alan Boswell offers landlord insurance for a range of situations, including single occupancy, bed-sits with shared facilities and houses in multiple occupations. These are supplied by insurance providers such as NIG and Aviva.
Alan Boswell will cover tenants who are unemployed, students or receiving housing benefit or an allowance at no extra charge. It also covers properties that are unoccupied for up to 90 days.
Landlord buildings and contents insurance includes:
- Cover to rebuild or repair of your building following an event, such as a flood or fire
- Cover for loss or damage to your contents within your property
- Loss of rent cover if your property becomes uninhabitable
- Alternative accommodation costs for your tenants due to your property becoming uninhabitable
- Liability cover and employers' liability cover for cleaners, gardeners, caretakers and persons doing minor maintenance and repairs
- Full cover for properties left unoccupied for up to 90 days between tenancies
- Full cover for malicious damage caused by your tenants to your property
Buy-to-let insurance includes:
- Unlimited cover for loss or damage to buildings or contents
- Cover for costs of rehousing a tenant, following insured damage to the property
- Loss of rent cover for up to 30% of the building sum insured, following insured damage to the property
- Property Owners’ Liability cover up to £5,000,000
- Employers’ Liability cover up to £10,000,000, indemnity for any one incident for cleaners, gardeners, caretakers, and persons doing minor maintenance and repairs
- Cover for unoccupied properties up to 60 days from being first insured or 90 days between lets subject to certain conditions
Insurance for commercial and part-commercial let properties is also available, though this cannot be obtained online.
Home emergency cover, rent guarantee, legal expenses cover and tenant referencing can be purchased at an added cost.
Alan Boswell also offers Property Portfolio insurance.
Get a personalised quote for your landlord insurance on the Alan Boswell website.
To see how landlord insurance from Alan Boswell compares to other providers, have a look at our guide to the best Landlord insurance policies on the market.
How much does landlord insurance from Alan Boswell cost?
The cost of a landlord insurance policy varies, depending on several unique factors, including the type of property, where the property is located and the level of cover you need (including any added extras).
When we got a test quote we were given a £250 standard excess.
Here's what some of the optional extras cost:
- Home emergency is available from £100 a year with no excess. This can only be purchased with an Alan Boswell Landlord Insurance policy
- Legal expenses cover is available for £30 when purchased together with an Alan Boswell Landlord Insurance policy, and £50 when purchased on a standalone basis
- Landlord rent guarantee is offered at £60 per property when purchased together with an Alan Boswell Landlord Insurance policy, and £75 per property when purchased on its own. It can also be added to your landlord legal expenses policy for £30 per property
- Tenant referencing is available for £21.50 per reference
Customers who hold a landlord insurance policy with Alan Boswell can get discounts on insurance for their own private properties because the company has deals in place with a number of providers.
To get a better understanding of landlord insurance cost, have a look at our article - How much does buy to let insurance cost?
What do Alan Boswell Insurance reviews by customer say?
On Feefo, Alan Boswell was rated 4.8 out of 5 for customer experience and 4.6 for its product rating, based on over 2,000 reviews.
What do Alan Boswell Insurance reviews from the experts say?
Alan Boswell is top in our list of the Best Landlord Insurance providers.
Independent financial researcher Defaqto has rated Alan Boswell Landlord Insurance policies offered through NIG, Covea and Aviva as 5 star.
A Star Rating indicates where a product or proposition sits in the market based on the quality and comprehensiveness of the features it offers.
A 5 Star rated policy has “an excellent product with a comprehensive range of features.”