What type of pet insurance does Agria offer?
- Agria has over 125 years' experience specialising in providing pet insurance. It insures cats, dogs and rabbits and offers Lifetime Pet insurance only, covering up to £12,500 for vet fees.
- In September 2019, Agria's website was offering a free PitPat Activity Monitor for dogs and a £50 healthcare voucher for cats for the first 2 months of the policy when customers buy online.
- £25 vaccination vouchers are available on higher level policies.
How does Agria Pet insurance compare to Bought By Many?
Both Agria and Bought By Many only offer lifetime pet insurance policies which means the vet fee cover level resets every year you renew so it can cover ongoing illness and conditions throughout the lifetime of your pet.
Agria offer a maximum vet fee limit of £12,500 compared to Bought By Many's figure of £15,000 for pet owners who choose their Complete policy.
One of the main differences between Bought By Many and Agria is that Bought By Many cover conditions that ended more than two years ago. They also offer a policy that can cover more recent pre-existing conditions that ended at least three months ago. Agria along with a number of other pet insurers does not cover such conditions.
Bought By Many also allow new customers to make an immediate claim if they switch straight to Bought By Many from another pet insurance provider. Bought By Many have removed the 14 day exclusion period, allowing customers to claim immediately. However, Agria along with many other pet insurers continue to include a 14 day waiting period before customers can make a first claim.
At the time of writing, Agria give new customers a £50 Healthcare voucher with every dog and cat policy. Bought By Many do not offer introductory discounts but offer a MoneyBack policy where customers can get 20% of their pet insurance premium back if they don't claim in a policy year. Agria currently do not offer an equivalent policy.
Agria have a 5% multi-pet discount if you insure more than one pet on the same policy. By comparison Bought By Many provide pet owners with a bigger multi-pet discount of 15% the highest currently available on the market.
If you're worried about your pet and need quick advice, Agria customers can access their free Pet Healh advice line. Any question or concerns can be discussed with a vet nurse who can advise whether to go to the vet or not.
Bought By Many don't offer a vet helpline but have instead partnered with FirstVet who provide 24/7 free unlimited access to video consultations with qualified vets, through the FirstVet app.
We've compared the top levels of cover that we and Agria offer. The table uses our Complete policy.
|Bought By Many||Agria|
|Highest level of vet fee cover||£15,000||£12,500|
|Video vet calls as standard||Yes||No (All policies come with 24/7 access to The Pet Health Helpline)|
|Claims waiting period is removed if you switch to the provider||Yes||No|
|Lifetime cover||All policies||All policies|
|Excess payable||Once per year||per new claim|
|Cover for dental accidents and illness||Yes (Up to full vet fee limit)||Yes (Up to full vet fee limit)|
Agria offers specialist insurance for breeders and vets
Insurance for breeders
- Members of Agria's Breeder Club are eligible for a number or rewards and offers.
- Agria offers 5 weeks free insurance: This can be set up when a breeder's puppy or kitten leaves for its new home.
- Members thinking of breeding from their cat or dog can add breeding risks cover to their policy. This will cover complications from gestation and birth - including caesarean section.
Insurance for vets
- Agria offers a free bespoke membership programme called Agria Life, which is available to all registered vet practices.
- It includes regulated and non-regulated insurance activities to suit the needs of individual practices.
- Agria Life offers 5 weeks free lifetime-only cover for all puppies and kittens of existing clients.
- Agria provides members with a dedicated veterinary specialist Business Development Manager that gives face-to-face training. Free Business CPD modules are also available through the Agria Vet Academy.
To learn more about what is covered by Lifetime insurance along with other policies. Take a look at our Pet Insurance FAQs.
Agria Rehoming Club
Agria Rehoming is a specialist insurance service. It's aimed at individuals responsible for running foster networks and rehoming centres for animals. The club is free to join and members can access the following benefits:
5 weeks free insurance
- Members can activate 5 weeks free insurance policies for animals that are adopted and rehomed, regardless of age.
Insurance for older animals
- Access to full, lifetime insurance for pets regardless of age.
Extra help for your rescue
- Members are entitled to help and support for animals in their rescue home. Commission can be earned when a 5 weeks free Agria policy is continued onto full, lifetime Agria cover.
Extra policies are available
Policyholders can choose from the following:
- Overseas travel
- Death and loss
- Boarding fees
Policyholders can choose which ones they want to add.
How do you make a claim?
Begin by downloading and printing out a claim form. Alternatively, email or telephone Agria to request a claim form. Policyholders will need their Agria Pet Insurance policy number to complete this form.
Policyholders should complete and sign section 1 of the form and ask their vet to complete and sign section 2 of the form.
Once the claim from has been completed with relevant details, policyholders should place the form with any other supporting evidence such as veterinary receipts in an envelope and post to the following address: Agria PO Box 506 Manchester M28 8EN.
What are the excess fees?
- Policyholders can choose their excess.
- Policyholders will pay 10% of the cost of the veterinary bill once the fixed excess has been deducted. For example, if you choose the £95 + 10% excess option and your veterinary bill is £500, you will pay £135.50 (£95 + £40.50). For complete clarity, your choice of percentage excess will be detailed on your schedule of insurance.
What is excluded from cover?
- A pet being less than 8 weeks old, or a pet being over the maximum age shown on a policyholder’s Schedule of Insurance when you take out the policy.
- The fixed and percentage amounts policyholders pay towards the cost of treatment their pet receives, for each illness or injury in each period of insurance.
- Illness and injuries that first showed signs before the policy started.
- Illness and injuries that happen again and are the same as illness and injuries a pet had before your policy started. These include disorders that a pet can have in different eyes, ears, front and back legs, feet, knees, hips, shoulders and elbows.
- Illness that show signs in the first 10 days after the policy has started.
- The cost of any treatment to teeth and gums if a pet has not had regular dental checks and received any treatment recommended as a result of the checks.
- Costs to prevent illness or injury, routine examinations, routine tests, routine treatment for your pet's general wellbeing, tests to investigate the general health or your pet, vaccinations, spraying, castration, caesarean section, pregnancy or giving birth.
- Vet's administration costs and other charges a vet makes for things that do not directly involve the vet's expertise in treating an illness or injury.
Membership programme on offer
- Agria Life is a free bespoke membership programme from Agria available to all its practices.
- It includes regulated and non-regulated insurance activities to suit the needs of individual practices. Agria Life also provides dedicated veterinary teams to support practices.
- The programme includes a number of free practice benefits.
Expert reviews on Agria pet insurance
- Winner of Moneyfacts Consumer Award 2018 for Pet Insurance Provider of the Year and best Claims Service.