9 ways you might poison your dog this Christmas

Ronny Lavie By Ronny Lavie

The presents are unwrapped, the turkey’s cooked, the sherry is open… Has anyone seen the dog?

At Christmas time your house is jam-packed with festive (but fatal) goodies. Keep your pup away from these 9 commonly scoffed items:

  • holly

    Holly & Ivy – Looks great in a wreath, but let your dog at it and you’ll witness an upset stomach, tremors, seizures & loss of balance.

  • mistletoe

    Mistletoe – Ahh the tool of young love, but not puppy love. A few berries can be fatal to your beloved puppy.

  • onions

    Onions & garlic – Does your staffie love stuffing? Keep him out! Onions can cause anaemia, so shouldn’t be fed to dogs in any form.

  • poinsettia

    Poinsettia – A beautiful addition to your living room, but it won’t stay beautiful for long if you let the dog get a bite! A good munch will result in diarrhoea, abdominal cramps & delirium.

  • raisins

    Raisins – Christmas cake, mincepies, Christmas pudding; your dog is running a raisin gauntlet. So steer her safely and she’ll avoid kidney failure which can be fatal.

  • avocado

    Avocado – We all love a prawn cocktail to kick off Christmas lunch, well apart from the dog that is. If he scoffs avocado down, soon to follow will be diarrhoea, vomiting, laboured breathing & can even be fatal.

  • dough

    Bread dough – Your 8 strand plaited loaf is safely stowed away to prove, but is it out of the dog’s reach? If it has live yeast, dough will continue to rise in a dog’s stomach causing bloat and can result in a twisted stomach.

  • booze

    Booze – “Oh look, does little fluffy want some baileys too?” STOP! It might be your favourite tipple, but let fluffy get squiffy and you’ll be giving her the gift of respiratory failure and seizures this Christmas.

  • chocolate

    Chocolate – Tins of roses, tree decorations, bars of organic Peruvian 80% cocoa; all delicious, all bad for your pup. In fact, the darker the chocolate, the worse it is. So expect vomiting, diarrhoea, increased heart rate and even collapse if you can’t keep them out of the chocs.

This article was independently written by Bought By Many. We were not paid to write it, but we may receive commission for sales that result from you clicking on a link to one of our partners.

More like this: