Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
We're on an impressive journey to make the world a better place for pet-parents and we need you to help us build the Global Pet Health Platform of the future! We have ambitious growth goals and as such, this role will be a pivotal part of our continued success as a crucial enabler for our growth in the UK, Sweden, the US and beyond.
As a Back-End Engineer, you'll be one of our hands-on developers who uses deep technical skills, contributing to our codebase (and to the wider EDP team). You’ll shape, improve and iterate our code and working practices, harnessing the power of SaaS APIs and Cloud services to create powerful solutions. You’ll work at speed and leverage your DevOps expertise and know-how across our global business.
Inclusion at Bought By Many
We're a fast-paced organisation and when you join us, we guarantee that you'll achieve a lot and grow both professionally and personally in the time you spend with us. We'd also like to take a moment to let you know that we are committed to inclusive hiring within our EDP community. It's not just a "nice to have" or fancy corporate jargon - it's something we want to challenge so we can change the demographic imbalance in our industry.
We appreciate that juggling commitments outside of work can be difficult and a barrier to helping great talent from under-represented groups find the right career opportunity. If you would love to work with us and require some flexibility in your working pattern, please let us know and it's our promise to you that however whatever your circumstances - we'll do our best to accommodate your needs and remove any systemic barriers to ensure a fair and equitable experience.
- Be the technical authority for one or more key components of our systems infrastructure.
- Work with and guide less experienced developers to help them flourish and be more productive - delivering code to a high-quality.
- Work collaboratively with other developers to ensure your code fits in with the overall design and coding standards.
- Drive out detailed requirements where they don’t already exist, with the help of business users and analysts.
- Contribute to and influence the overall tech stack and new tech adoption.
- Contribute ideas and innovations, wherever you see opportunity for improvement.
- Work within and help to improve our self-organizing squad model.
- Work collaboratively across the whole business, building relationships across all teams.
What Leads to Success
Here are a few of the skills we are looking for in this position. Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box as it’s important for us to support you in your role and help you to develop along the way.
- Engineering is your heart and soul. You're the sort of person who needs to know that everything is organised, optimised and humming along beautifully.
- You value diversity and are sensitive to different environments and cultures.
- You've got nose for problems: you have a sixth sense for Issues before they happen.
- Your colleagues say you're the sort of person who likes to move fast, pragmatically seeking problems and thinking about the wider Impact to the business.
- You make changes happen by working well with others.
- Solid commercial experience working as a hands-on engineer - delivering production code to a large user base.
- You want to be part of a fast-paced, product centric environment. We use Agile software development techniques, so you should be happy working with Agile or Kanban methodologies.
- Experience in leading and coaching others, both in person and via remote.
- Knowledge of relevant languages and tools:
- MongoDB and associated python libraries.
- Micro-services, REST and GraphQL APIs.
- Python Web Frameworks (Django, Flask).
- AWS lambda, API Gateway, CloudFront and other services.
- An interest in chat bots, voice recognition, big data analytics, test and behavioural driven development and meta programming would be an advantage
Bought By Many and ManyPets are making the world a better place for pet parents. Award-winning innovative technology and exceptional customer service are at the heart of our offer: we now rank 30th on the Tech Track 100 (2020) and we won the Insurance Choice Awards (2020) for both Best Pet Insurance Provider and Innovation of the Year.
We’re proud to be driving unprecedented change in insurance and have doubled our revenues annually for the last 4 years with more ambitious growth still to come. Our latest Series D funding round was $350m which values us at $2bn. All this was made possible by the hard work from our incredible colleagues around the world; and we’re excited to embark on the next stage in our journey.
Our company is fast-paced, respectful, fun-loving and (most importantly) passionate about pets and their well-being. We think big and we can only do that if we have a wonderful array of different people with different lived experiences and backgrounds, bringing their whole self to work every day. Throughout the business, you will meet people who think differently, aim for impact, and love to try new things.
Our physical offices are modern, bright and open - with plenty of treats and great facilities. We provide practical support coupled with best-In-breed kit for homeworking. Since the pandemic, we have been working remotely and as such we'll need you to have a reliable internet connection with a minimum download speed of 50 Mbps and at least 10 Mbps upload speed. If you have any questions or concerns about this, please get in touch with us.