We're on an impressive journey to make the world a better place for pet-parents and we need you to help us build the Global Pet Health Platform of the future! We have ambitious growth goals and as such, this role will be a pivotal part of our continued success as a crucial enabler for our growth in the UK, Sweden, the US and beyond.
As an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for the development of our engineers as well as the overall performance and technical direction of one or more global squads. You'll coach and develop our future technical leaders – helping our EDP community to make high-quality decisions independently and autonomously. You are a coder, a techie and an engineer at heart and you've have moved into management because you love coaching others as well as being a tech expert.
Inclusion at Bought By Many
We're a fast-paced organisation and when you join us, we guarantee that you'll achieve a lot and grow both professionally and personally in the time you spend with us. We'd also like to take a moment to let you know that we are committed to inclusive hiring within our EDP community. It's not just a "nice to have" or fancy corporate jargon - it's something we want to challenge so we can change the demographic imbalance in our industry.
We appreciate that juggling commitments outside of work can be difficult and a barrier to helping great talent from under-represented groups find the right career opportunity. If you would love to work with us and require some flexibility in your working pattern, please let us know and it's our promise to you that however whatever your circumstances - we'll do our best to accommodate your needs and remove any systemic barriers to ensure a fair and equitable experience.
- Leading by example with your management best practices: helping us become an exceptional place to work for the ambitious, highly motivated people that we hire.
- Provides technical direction and (sometimes hands-on) guidance to the squads you manage, ensuring that they are delivering and contributing to, our global platform architecture.
- Supports, coaches and develops our engineers through regular 121s, continuous feedback and relationships with team leads.
- Working collaboratively with our Product Managers and senior technical leaders.
- Partnering with Senior Engineers to drive technical initiatives that improve our engineering practices.
- Takes an active role in resource planning - working closely with our Head of Engineering and our People team to devise and implement robust plans.
- You'll invest significant time in assessing and selecting our new engineers, ensuing we build a durable and well-balanced skills profile across the team.
What Leads to Success
Here are a few of the skills we are looking for in this position. Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box as it’s important for us to support you in your role and help you to develop along the way.
- Engineering is your heart and soul. You're the sort of person who has both strong technical skills and wants to share your knowledge with others.
- You have a strong focus on outcomes and the tangible impact of improvements in the quality and efficiency of processes and systems
- You value diversity and are sensitive to different environments and cultures.
- You care deeply about helping others achieve their goals and becoming the best engineers they can be.
- An empathetic and human-centric approach when leading and coaching - and thinking about the impact of your work to our customers.
- You make changes happen by working well with others, building rapport with ease and integrity.
- You've made the transition from hands-on engineer to a team leader - and you understand your role as an enabler of others (versus doing it all yourself.)
- You have previously worked as a software engineer at a senior level, and you still like code whenever you get the chance.
- You can contribute effectively and knowledgably to technical debates with your squads and across the engineering team.
- Previous experience using Agile software development techniques - you should be happy working with Agile or Kanban.
- You know what good looks like for a high-performing team of engineers and know how to get there. You have direct experience with influencing, coaching and developing teams that are autonomous, self-organized, and self-directed.
- You have knowledge of recent developments in EPD that could be relevant to our growing and developing technology team.
Bought By Many and ManyPets are making the world a better place for pet parents. Award-winning innovative technology and exceptional customer service are at the heart of our offer: we now rank 30th on the Tech Track 100 (2020) and we won the Insurance Choice Awards (2020) for both Best Pet Insurance Provider and Innovation of the Year.
We’re proud to be driving unprecedented change in insurance and have doubled our revenues annually for the last 4 years with more ambitious growth still to come. Our latest Series D funding round was $350m which values us at $2bn. All this was made possible by the hard work from our incredible colleagues around the world; and we’re excited to embark on the next stage in our journey.
Our company is fast-paced, respectful, fun-loving and (most importantly) passionate about pets and their well-being. We think big and we can only do that if we have a wonderful array of different people with different lived experiences and backgrounds, bringing their whole self to work every day. Throughout the business, you will meet people who think differently, aim for impact, and love to try new things.
Our physical offices are modern, bright and open - with plenty of treats and great facilities. We provide practical support coupled with best-In-breed kit for homeworking. Since the pandemic, we have been working remotely and as such we'll need you to have a reliable internet connection with a minimum download speed of 50 Mbps and at least 10 Mbps upload speed. If you have any questions or concerns about this, please get in touch with us.